last updated: May 2023
- “Mental Health and the Workplace.” Session Moderator. With Max Bowman, Nicolette Davis, Siân Evans, and Mimi Calter. Association of Research Libraries Fall Forum, October 20, 2022.
- “Critical Library Instruction Today: A Call to Action.” IFLA World Library & Information Congress, Information Literacy Section Pre-Conference, June 15, 2022.
- “Critical Information Literacy in the 21st Century.” Critical Studies in Information, Technology, and Social Organization Webinar, May 4, 2022.
- “Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Salaries and Working Conditions in Libraries.” With Aliqae Geraci and Loida Garcia-Febo. American Library Association Annual Conference, June 23-29, 2021.
- “When Business Meets Critical Pedagogy: Confronting Library Entanglements with Capital through Library Instruction.” With Kae Bara Kratcha and Kate Adler. Library Orientation Exchange (LOEX) Annual Conference, May 14, 2021.
- “What’s in a Name? What Named Spaces Tell Us About Academic Libraries.” With James Castrillo, Fobazi Ettarh, Harvey Long, and Cynthia Tobar. Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Biennial Conference, April 13-16, 2021.
- Keynote panel with Max Bowman, Beth Gallaway, and Sara Slymon. Building Life-Long Opportunities for Strength, Self-Care, Outlook, Morale and Mindfulness (BLOSSOM) Symposium, March 24, 2021.
- “Critical Pedagogy and Library Instruction.” METRO Reference & Instruction Special Interest Group, November 16, 2020.
- “Critical Reflections on the Next Normal.” Keynote presentation with Fobazi Ettarh. ACRL Delaware Valley Chapter Fall Program, October 16, 2020.
- “Putting the Self Back in Self-Care: Wellness in the Time of COVID-19.” With Amanda M. Leftwich, Fobazi M. Ettarh, Kaetrena Davis Kendrick, Jenn Carson, and Madeleine Charney. National Network of Medical Libraries Webinar, April 28, 2020.
- “Deficit Thinking and Library Instruction: How to Check Assumptions and Build Upon Students’ Strengths.” Invited workshop. Maryland College Institute of Art, August 13, 2019, Baltimore, MD.
- “Coming Clean About Grit: Challenging Dominant Narratives in Information Literacy.” Keynote presentation. Connecticut Information Literacy Conference, June 14, 2019, West Hartford, CT.
- “Challenging Deficit Thinking in Academic Libraries: Ideas and Applications.” With Yi Ding, Chelsa Heinbach, Rosan Mitola, and Amy Pajewski. ACRL Instruction Section Annual Virtual Discussion Forum, June 11, 2019.
- “Critical Librarianship: Questioning with Purpose and Hope.” Keynote presentation. Penn State University Libraries Instruction Community of Practice, May 15, 2019, State College, PA.
- “Reframing Reference for Marginalized Students: A Participatory Visual Study.” ACRL Biennial Conference, April 13, 2019, Cleveland, OH.
- “From Value to Values: Information Literacy, Capitalism, and Resistance.” With Nora Almeida, Romel Espinel, and Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe. ACRL Biennial Conference, April 12, 2019, Cleveland, OH.
- “Situating the Self: Teacher-Librarian Narratives Within and Beyond Institutional Spaces.” With Nimisha Bhat, Brittany Fiedler, Rachel Gammons, and Michele Santamaria. ACRL Biennial Conference, April 11, 2019, Cleveland, OH.
- “Social Justice and Reference.” With Kate Adler and Ian Beilin. Reference Librarianship & Justice: Critical Interventions, March 8, 2019, New York, NY.
- “Reframing Reference through Participatory Visual Methods.” American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference, 24th Reference Research Forum, June 23, 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- “Beyond Resilience: Crafting a Caring Organization.” Session moderator. With Chris Bourg, Fobazi Ettarh, Derrick Jefferson, and Karen Schneider. ALA Annual Conference, ACRL President’s Program, June 23, 2018, New Orleans, LA.
- “The Problem with Grit: Dismantling Deficit Models in Information Literacy Instruction.” LOEX Annual Conference, May 5, 2018, Houston, TX.
- “Questioning What’s Given, for a Better Librarianship.” Keynote presentation. Virginia Library Association College and Research Libraries Chapter (VLACRL) Spring Program, April 12, 2018, Williamsburg, VA.
- “Reproducing and Resisting Capitalism through Information Literacy.” With Nora Almeida, Romel Espinel, and Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe. Libraries in the Context of Capitalism Symposium, February 2, 2018, New York, NY.
- “Critical Library Practice and Higher Education: Locating Spaces of Agency and Resistance.” With Sofia Leung and Vani Natarajan. Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL) Annual Conference, June 1, 2017, Toronto, Ontario.
- “Invisible Barriers and Subversive Practices: Critical Librarianship in Higher Education.” With Veronica Arellano Douglas, Joanna Gadsby, Sofia Leung, and Angela Pashia. Identity, Agency, and Culture in Academic Libraries Conference, May 22, 2017, Los Angeles, CA.
- “Academic Libraries and the False Promises of Resiliency.” With Jacob Berg and Angela Galvan. Libraries and Archives in the Anthropocene Colloquium, May 14, 2017, New York, NY.
- “Resilience, Grit, and Other Lies: Academic Libraries and the Myth of Resiliency.” With Angela Galvan and Jacob Berg. ACRL Biennial Conference, March 23, 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- “Asking, Listening, and Observing: Learning About Student Research through Ethnography.” With Natasha Tomlin and Kimberly Mullins. ACRL Biennial Conference, March 24, 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- “Charting the Unknown through Qualitative Research: Becoming a Practitioner-Researcher.” With Frans Albarillo, Lee Ann Fullington, and Brandon West. ACRL Biennial Conference, March 24, 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- “The Future of Librarian Labor.” With Emily Drabinski. ALA Midwinter Meeting, January 21, 2017, Atlanta, GA.
- “Resistant Spectatorship and Critical Information Literacy: Strategies for Oppositional Readings.” Conceptions of Library and Information Science (CoLIS) Triennial Conference, June 28, 2016, Uppsala, Sweden.
- “The Practice and Promise of Critical Information Literacy in Library Instruction.” LOEX Annual Conference, May 6, 2016, Pittsburgh, PA.
- “Teaching and Un-Teaching Authority in the Critical Library Classroom.” With Katelyn Angell. Librarians’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC), March 22, 2016, Dublin, Ireland.
- “What Actually Happens: An Ethnographic Investigation of Student Library Use.” With Natalia Tomlin and Kimberly Mullins. LILAC, March 21, 2016, Dublin, Ireland.
- “Critical Information Literacy as Collaborative Praxis.” With Karen Nicholson, Jessica Critten, and Ryan Randall. Cultural Studies Association Annual Conference, May 21, 2015, Riverside, CA.
- “Elevating Source Evaluation: Teaching and Un-Teaching Authority in the Critical Library Classroom.” With Katelyn Angell. LOEX Annual Conference, May 2, 2015, Denver, CO.
- “Measuring Our Information Literacy Footprint: Assessing Games-Based Learning in Library Instruction.” With Katelyn Angell. ACRL Biennial Conference, March 26, 2015, Portland, OR.
- “A Mixed-Methods Evaluation of using Popular Media to Teach Information Literacy Concepts.” Poster presentation, Library Assessment Biennial Conference, August 4, 2014, Seattle, WA.
- “Ask Not What Your Profession Can Do For You? Surveying Art Librarian Career Paths and Attitudes.” Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) Annual Conference, May 3, 2014, Washington, DC.
- “The Amazing Library Race: Using Problem-Based Learning in Library Orientations.” With Katelyn Angell and Katy Boss. LILAC, April 23, 2014, Sheffield, England.
- “What Art Students Value About the Library Experience.” Poster presentation, ACRL Biennial Conference, April 1, 2011, Philadelphia, PA.